Childhood Toy


This week’s journal entry:
Write about your favorite childhood toy? What was it? Why was it your favorite? Describe the details of it and its functions.

By Laura Black
My favorite childhood toy was Barbie. I absolutely loved playing with my Barbie dolls. My sister and I could play Barbie dolls for the entire weekend. We would turn our entire bedroom into our own little Barbie world. I loved everything about it – creating a life for each Barbie, creating their living space, their career, changing their clothes, doing their hair.
I love being able to create this world and act it out. I don’t really remember what my career choice was for each Barbie, but I can remember wanting Ken to be a big part of each life. I also liked creating an entire family with Barbie, Ken, and a baby. Sometimes Skipper would be the teenage daughter, too.
My sister and I had so many Barbies and all the accessories as well. We had a tower Barbie house, red corvettes, a horse, a bike, and furniture. We had a lot of clothes, too. We had clothes that my grandma made for my mom’s Barbie dolls, clothes my grandma made for our Barbie dolls, and we had a lot of the standard Barbie doll clothes, shoes, and purses.
As I got older, I didn’t play with my Barbie dolls as much because it was no longer cool. Every once in a while I would still play with my sister. I did want to play with them still, but it just wasn’t cool. I did miss being able to create this world or life I dreamed of in the future. In fact, in high school, I babysat for my neighbors that had two little girls. They loved playing with Barbie dolls, so I did get to play with them still.
I can definitely see why I liked them so much as a child, but I definitely couldn’t play with them anymore. I would rather read a book and escape in another world other than my own through the characters the author creates. I guess that’s similar to the world I would create with my Barbie dolls. It’s just an adult version without the doll, I guess.


Comments

Popular Posts